I thought maybe most of you would like something for remembrance day. Here are a few facts about World War 1 and the reason behind the day where we all share a minute of silence.
- 1 - Definition: World War 1 was a military conflict lasting from 1914 to 1918 which involved nearly all the biggest powers of the world
- 2 – World War 1 involved 2 opposing alliances – the Allies and the Central Powers
- 3 – The countries of the Allies included Russia, France, British Empire, Italy, United States, Japan, Rumania, Serbia, Belgium, Greece, Portugal and Montenegro
- 4 – The countries of the Central Powers included Germany, Austria-Hungary, Turkey and Bulgaria
- 5 – World War 1 was triggered on 28 June 1914 by the assassination of the Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria and his pregnant wife Sophie
- 6- Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria was the nephew of Emperor Franz Josef and heir to the throne of Austria and Hungary
- 7 – The assassination took place in in Sarajevo, the capital of the Austro-Hungarian province of Bosnia and Herzegovina
- 8 - The assassination was planned by a Serbian terrorist group, called The Black Hand and the man who shot Franz Ferdinand and his wife was a Bosnian revolutionary named Gavrilo Princip
- 9 – Causes of World War 1:
- There was a tangle of alliances made between countries, to maintain a balance of power in Europe, which brought about the scale of the conflict
- Bosnian Crisis – Austria-Hungary took over the former Turkish province of Bosnia in 1909 angering Serbia
- Countries were building their military forces, arms and battleships
- Countries wanted to regain lost territories from previous conflicts and build empires
- Moroccan Crisis – Germans were protesting in 1911 against the French possession of Morocco
- 10 – Major Leaders of World War 1 included Kaiser Wilhelm II, Tsar Nicholas II, Prince Alexander of Serbia, Sir Edward Grey British Foreign Secretary, President Wilson U.S. President, H. H. Asquith and David Lloyd George
- 11 – WW1 included the first known use of chemical weapons (mustard Gas)
- 12 - The sinking of the Lusitania in 1915 bought the US into the war
- 13 – US entered the war on April 6, 1917
- 14 – 65 million troops were mobilized during WW1
- 15 - more than 9 million troops died
- 16 – more than 21 million troops were wounded
- 17 – 58,000 British soldiers were lost on the first day at the Battle of the Somme
- 18 – Other names for World War 1 include ‘The War to End All Wars’, The War of the Nations and ‘The Great War’
- 19 – By the end of the war there were 250,000 wounded British soldiers who suffered total or partial amputation
- 20 – The U.S. was in the war in actual combat for only seven and a half months during which time 116,000 were killed and 204,000 were wounded.
- 21 – During the course of the War War 1 approx 11% of Frances’s entire population was killed or wounded.
- 22 - Battle of Verdun, 1916, resulted in over a million casualties in ten months.
- 23 – Over 200,000 men died in the trenches of WW1
- 24 – Trenches were infested with millions of rats, frogs and lice
- 25 – 80,000 British troops suffered from shell-shock
Prisoners In Norway are Treated Like Kings
Fungus In Horse Poo is The Fastest Living Thing On The Planet
China Love To Boil Their Eggs In Urine
25 Facts About World War 1
How Colors May Affect Your Productivity and Success
During WWI, a British soldier had a chance to kill Hitler, but didn’t!
5 Awesome Facts About Clowns
The Sun Could Destroy Earth!
Why are pumpkins associated with Halloween.
The More Afraid Of Spiders You Are, The Bigger They Will Seem To You