Did you know astronauts can grow taller in space? Have a look at our other interesting facts about astronauts living in space.
- Astronauts are people who serve on spacecraft and fly into outer space. In Russia and the former Soviet Union, they are also known as cosmonauts. As of 2010, 505 people worldwide have gone into space.
- The pilot or commander of the space shuttle are required to fly 1,000 hours as a jet pilot before they can be selected as an astronaut, and a person has to be at least 58 inches tall to be selected for a space mission. However, astronauts can grow taller while in space, approximately up to two inches if they are there for a month. This is due the spine stretching due to lack of gravity.
- It is possible for astronauts to spend a long time in space. One of the most interesting astronaut facts is the longest time spent living in outer space was 2 years and 73 days over a period between 1991 and 1999.
- In space, it is not possible to breathe normal air found on Earth, so an astronaut’s spacesuit is outfitted with oxygen so they can breathe when working work outside of the spacecraft.
- Astronauts can urinate while wearing their spacesuits outside of the spacecraft. He or she will wear a maximum absorbency garment (MAG), which can hold up to two liters of fluid.
- Astronauts will sleep in bunk beds or in sleeping bags. However, these bunk beds must be fitted with buckles so the astronauts can buckle up. Otherwise, they might float around the spacecraft while sleeping.
- They are able to eat similar foods that you would eat at home, and can choose from 70 different types of food. However, the food will either be already prepackaged for them or need just a very small amount of preparation. Sometimes when the astronauts are eating, the food will float around, as there is no gravity.
- Common items they would have include brownies, meat, pasta, fruit and soft drinks. The astronauts must eat any fresh vegetables or fruit within two days after launch, as it quickly spoils, so the majority of fruit such as apricots is dried. Any meat will have to be heat-treated to kill any bacteria that might spoil the food. Certain foods such as bread are not allowed in space as crumbs can be inhaled, get in one’s eyes or damage equipment. Tortillas are given to the astronauts instead.
- Being an astronaut is their regular job, but they do have relaxation time. During this time the astronauts can read a book, watch a movie, or talk to their family on Earth. They can even use an exercise bike (and they have to do a lot of exercise to stay healthy.).
- The first living animal into orbit was a dog from Russia called Laika. She traveled into space on Sputnik 2 in 1957.
- American astronauts have the Peanuts Comic Strip dog “Snoopy” as their safety mascot.
- There is no wind or rain in space so an astronaut’s footprints on the Moon will remain for at least a million years.
- An Astronaut’s space suit costs a whopping 14 million dollars to make!
40,000 toilet-related injuries in the US, Every Year
Diet Coke and Coke Zero are the Same Beverage
Impossible To Die On Marijuana Overdose
BrainPlus IQ Cognitive Supplement Review
Granny Arrested for Growing 200 Marijuana Plants using a Hydroponics System
How Will Our Cities Look In The Next 200 Years?
The World’s Largest NES Controller
The Occupy Movement Stats & Figures, What Are Your Views?
How dangerous is your house?
A Waterfall Restaurant In The Philippines