Ok so we all know what Google is.. If you don’t, what rock on this planet have you been hiding under? Anyways.. Like i said, here is some cool factual information about Google. Personally i like fact numbers 3, 5 and 7. Let us know which you like the most using the comment box below! If you know something we don’t about Google that’s interesting and worthy to be on this page, get in contact with us and we will add it!
1. The name ‘Google’ was an accident. A spelling mistake on an investment check they received. Also the domain name “googol.com” was already taken
2. Gmail was internally used for nearly 2 years prior to launch to the public. They discovered there was approximately 6 types of email users, and Gmail has been designed to accommodate these 6.
3. They listen to every feedback actively. Emailing Google isn’t emailing a blackhole.
4. Google employees are encouraged to use 20% of their time working for their own projects. Google News, Orkut are both examples of projects that grew from this working model.
5. The prime reason the Google home page is so bare is due to the fact that the founders didn’t know HTML and just wanted a quick interface. In fact it was noted that the submit button was a long time coming and hitting the RETURN key was the only way to burst Google into life.
6. Due to the sparseness of the homepage, in early user tests they noted people just sitting looking at the screen. After a minute of nothingness, the tester intervened and asked ‘Whats up?’ to which they replied “We are waiting for the rest of it”. To solve that particular problem the Google Copyright message was inserted to act as a crude end of page marker.
7. One of the biggest leap in search usage came about when they introduced their much improved spell checker giving birth to the “Did you mean…” feature. This instantly doubled their traffic, but they had some interesting discussions on how best to place that information, as most people simply tuned that out. But they discovered the placement at the bottom of the results was the most effective area.
8. The infamous “I feel lucky” is nearly never used. However, in trials it was found that removing it would somehow reduce the Google experience. Users wanted it to be kept. It was like a comfort button.
9. Orkut is very popular in Brazil. Orkut was the brainchild of a very intelligent Google engineer who was pretty much given free reign to run with it, without having to go through the normal Google UI procedures, hence the reason it doesn’t look or feel like a Google application. They are looking at improving Orkut to cope with the loads it places on the system.
10. Google makes small changes on their products very often. They will sometimes trial a particular feature with a set of users from a given network subnet; for example Excite@Home users often get to see new features. They aren’t told of this, just presented with the new UI and observed how they use it.
11. Google has the largest network of translators in the world
12. They use the 20% / 5% rules. If at least 20% of people use a feature, then it will be included. At least 5% of people need to use a particular search preference before it will make it into the ‘Advanced Preferences’.
13. They have found in user testing, that a small number of people are very typical of the larger user base. They run labs continually and always monitoring how people use a page of results.
14. Google logs each search queries into its systems. More ever Google got patents for hardware designing too.
15. Quote: Give Users What They Want When They Want It
16. Quote: Integrate Sensibly
Steve Jobs, Co Founder of Apple Inc. Dies at Age 56
Neurocyclin Review: Unleash More of Your Brain Power!
The World of Social Media 2011
Man Tempts Fate with Burger and Loses
More IKEA Catalogs Sold Than The Bible
Girl Eats Soap For Dinner
5 Awesome Facts About Clowns
The Boy With The Amazing Brain
During WWI, a British soldier had a chance to kill Hitler, but didn’t!
30 Story Hotel Was Built in 15 Days